Here I am eight months post big chop and this post!! Last Thursday, I finally made it the the salon to have my hair flat ironed. I had an appointment a month or two ago, but RJ was sick and I had to cancel. Well, RJ was also sick last Thursday, but Hubby stayed with him and I was able to keep my appointment. *BTW: RJ is 100% now:)* So, off I went to the salon for a wash, deep conditioning, steam treatment, trim and straightening. It was the first time a flat iron touched my hair since I had the relaxed ends of my hair chopped off. *I’m enjoying taking two minutes to wrap my hair as opposed to the 10-15 it takes to twist it every night!*
Since my chop, I’ve experimented with a variety of products and some techniques. Here is some of what I’ve learned about my hair:
- Wash n Gos aren’t for me
- I like my hair in an afro, but it gets dry and tangles to much.
- I like to wear my hair in a puff but the prevoius problem occurs so I limit that style as well.
- Twist outs work best for my hair with a little styler or some moisturizing agent work best for me.
- Once my twist out starts for lose it’s definition, spritzing with a mixture of water, olive oil & tea tree oil and then twisting brings it back to life.
- Lotion type moisturizers work better for my hair than spray-in watery type ones.
- My hair LOVES water!!
Products I’m using right now:
Tresemme Naturals conditioner (co-washes & detangling conditioner)
Kinky Curly Come Clean (when I shampoo)
Olive oil (sealant)
Kinky Curly Knot Today (leave in)
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (styler)
Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (I was using this as a deep conditioner but wasn’t impressed. Currently looking for a new deep treatment)
H2O, olive oil & tea tree oil spritzer